Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Culture Shock

Currently sitting at an internet cafe in Kampala, in what I'm told is a very "muzungo" mall. Muzungu = white person and everything associated with white people (aka wealth, mostly). That this shopping center is "muzungu" indicates that the cafes are really nice and have logos that imitate Starbucks's, that the stores are particularly clean and well organized, and that generally the walls are not falling off. This is the first muzungu place I've been to so far in Uganda - the first time that I feel like I could be back in the U.S. Everything else, as the title of this post indicates, has seemed completely foreign.

I'll back up a bit: I landed in Entebbe airport on Friday night. I was most nervous about arriving (being alone in a new country, etc.), but definitely should not have been. Immediately, I was treated as a VIP at the airport - an airport employee greeted me, had me cut the entire line, helped me find my luggage, and was super friendly and excited to meet me. Apparently, my grandfather's Ugandan caretaker, Allen, who is in Uganda now visiting family, had contacted her friend and set up that whole greeting. Then I was greeted by about ten more people - by Allen and half her family, and by Segawa - the head of the school I'll work at - and some of his students. It was a RELIEF, to say the least, to feel welcome.

I stayed at Allen's family's house in Seena, a town outside Kampala, for the weekend. Despite the no water or electricity there, it was really comfortable and also really gorgeous: 


(This is farrrr from typical-looking, as most homes I've seen are made from sticks strung loosely together or dilapidated slabs of cement, 3 Little Pigs style.)
I took my first bucket shower, and learned how to flush a toilet by just pouring water in. I also learned how to spend a weekend without internet. I emerged a new person.

At Allen's house, I was quite the spectacle. Ugandans don't often see muzungus (white people), and when they do they basically treat them like celebrities. The dozens of kids running around Allen's house stared at me (completely dumbfounded) while I ate, and cracked up hysterically whenever I walked by. They were ADORABLE, and I had many pleasant conversations with them which consisted primarily of "howaarr you," and "goood morrrniing."

My first real encounter with Kampala, the capital city, came when Allen, her husband, and sister-in-law took me there for a day trip. It was interesting to see the city, but in all honesty, I was glad to leave. The city is incredibly congested (imagine the crowded-ness of New York x5) - or at least the parts that we saw. People and cars are EVERYWHERE, and neither pays any attention to the other. Oh, and boda-bodas, which are motorcycle taxis that seem to follow no traffic laws. Actually, I'm pretty sure there are no traffic laws. I think I've seen one traffic light this entire trip. And I don't think it worked. Here's a picture (imagine tons of dust in the air if you can't see it):


Here's another one (note the building made of sticks):

I was sad to leave Allen's house. We took lots of pictures before I left. Here's one - It's a mix of Allen's family, neighbors, friends - I honestly couldn't begin to keep track of all the people running around. (There's Allen to my left. And I'm the muzungu, for those who don't know me.):

On Monday, I met up with Mel and Mac (two other volunteers) and Segawa, the head of the school where I'll be teaching. We visited the primary school in Nansana, and the secondary school connected to it in Namayumba. For these few days we're staying at Segawa's house in Nansana, but in a few days we'll move to Namayumba where we (the 6 volunteers) will teach, play soccer, and generally get to know the kids. After seeing the two villages, I'm really happy we'll be staying in Namayumba -  it's much more rural than Nansana, and less crowded, very green, and generally gorgeous. I'll post pictures once we move in there.


Finally, I'll leave you with a couple of today's exciting moments:
-My first boda-boda ride (motorcycle-taxi)!!!! They drive super fast--zoom through cars/people/random huge pits in the roads. I was way too scared to ride alone, so rode on one with Mac. Still, I'm proud.

-Met my first African gorilla! And by African gorilla I mean a man in this mall that's dressed in a gorilla costume, who came and tapped me on the back and scared me half to death. And then he did it again.

And that's all for now. I can't wait to move to Namayumba, start teaching, and meet the kids. I'll update this again once my routine begins.

I don't know how to say goodbye in Luganda (the local language of Central Uganda), so instead I'll just say "Oliotio" which means "How are you." It's all I know - It'll have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment